KIELBASA WITH RED CABBAGE
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar,firmly packed
- 1 tbs. grated orange peel
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 1 1/2 tps.salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 2-lb head cabbage,shredded,about 12 cups
- 3 med. onions,sliced
- 3 med. cooking apples,pared,cored,and sliced
- 1 lrg. red pepper,cut in thin strips
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 ring keilbasa 2lbs.
Preheat oven to 350F. In small bowl,combine brown sugar,orange peel,garlic,salt,nutmeg,pepper,and cloves.
In dutch oven,arrange in layers,half of cabbage,half of onions,and half of apples. Sprinkle with half of brown sugar mixture. Top with half of pepper strips. REpeat
Pour orange juice and vinegar over top.
Bake covered,1 hour.
Make 1/4-inch-deep slashes,at 2-inch intervals,in kielbasa. Place in Dutch oven pressing down to partially cover kielbasa with the pan juices. Bake covered,30 min. longer.
Makes 6 servings.