KIMBERLY'S BLACK RASPBERRY APPLE PIE
- Cooking Time: 65
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 25
- 8-10 apples, peeled and cored (*see note)
- 1 1/2 cups black raspberries (frozen)
- 5 tbsp quick cooking Tapioca
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- Pastry Dough (enough for a two crust, 9" pie)
- Glass pie pan
- *Note: For the best texture and flavor, use a variety of apples. I use Granny Smith, McIntosh, Empire Reds, Pink Lady and HoneyCrisp.
- Slice the apples into 1/2" slices and toss with the lemon juice.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & tapioca, tossing to mix well.
- Add the black raspberries, tossing carefully so as not to break them up.
- Let apple mixture sit 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375*f.
- Roll out the pie crust into 2 rounds, making sure they are at least 1 1/2" larger than the diameter of your pie pan.
- Fit the bottom crust into the pie pan, and fill with the apple-berry mixture.
- Cut vents into the top crust. I like to cut apple shapes (see pic) but you can cut any shape. Place top crust over pie.
- Pinch together the top and bottom crusts, using your thumb and two fingers to scallop the edges, and making sure to seal completely.
- Brush the top crust with a bit of heavy cream, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Wrap edges in foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 40-45 min. Let cool slightly before serving.
NotesI love the combination of apples and berries in pies, crisps, and crumbles! The two combine to create the perfect texture, perfect balance of tart and sweet, and look beautiful doing it. I came up with this pie after buying some black raspberries at Trader Joe's a couple weeks ago. You can also make this with a streusel topping of flour, butter, brown sugar & oats.