- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 C warm water (110F)
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 C sugar (plus 2 tsp)
- 4 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- zest from one medium lemon
- 1/2 C warm milk (110F)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 C butter, (plus 2 Tbsp) softened
- 1 egg and 1 Tbsp milk beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 dried bean or ceramic baby
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C walnuts
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 C confectioners sugar
- 1/4 C fresh lemon juice, strained
- 3 to 6 Tbsp water
- Purple, Green & Yellow Sanding Sugar
- In a large glass measuring cup or bowl, add 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle with yeast and 2 tsp of sugar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and stir until well mixed.
- Move to warm place and let sit for 10 minutes or until bubbly yeast has doubled in size.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and whisk well.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and gently pour in yeast mixture, warm milk and egg yolks.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until it forms a smooth dough.
- Add 1/2 cup softened butter, one tablespoon at a time and combine well until it can be formed into a soft ball.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in up to another cup of flour a tablespoon at a time, until dough is smooth, shiny and elastic.
- Coat the inside of a large mixing bowl with butter.
- Place dough ball in bowl and turn to coat completely.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm, draft-free place for 1 1/2 hours; until dough has doubled in size.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down.
- Form dough into a tube shape about 14 inches long.
- Flatten dough tube and brush with softened butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar & spice nut mixture, leaving at least a 1/2 inch of dough on the edges.
- Pinch dough closed.
- Tuck bean or ceramic baby into dough seam.
- If you are using a plastic baby, tuck it in AFTER baking.
- Place dough on a parchment paper lined cookie tray and form a circle with the dough.
- Pinch edges to close circle.
- Cover dough circle with a towel and place in a warm draft-free place for 45 minutes or until dough circle has doubled in size.
- Whisk together egg & 1 Tbls of milk for egg wash.
- Brush top and all sides of dough circle with egg wash.
- Bake 375F for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow cake to cool on wire rack until completely cooled.
- To make the icing, whisk together confectioners sugar & lemon juice with enough water to make glaze.
- When cake is completely cooled, drizzle glaze over the top of cake.
- While glaze is still wet, sprinkle colored sugars in 2 - 3 inches sections around the cake.
- Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule!!!!
NotesThis was my first attempt at a King Cake. It came out pretty well!
This recipe is adapted from a Cajun Chef Ryan recipe.
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Black Bean Salad
Gabriola Clam Chowder
PUMPKIN CUSTARD PROFITEROLES WITH MAPLE CARAMELSee More