- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups soy flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup brewer's yeast
- 1 (15 ounce) can mackerel
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cod liver oil
- 2 cups of water or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, mash the mackerel into small pieces. Mix in the oil and water.
- Add the mackerel mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. The dough is tough, so use your hands. Roll dough out to about 1/4" thickness and cut into 1/4" bits, using a knife or pizza cutter. Mound the bits onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 25 minutes.
- During baking, occasionally toss the bits with two wooden spoons, so they brown evenly. Turn the heat off and allow the treats to cool thoroughly before removing and storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This recipe freezes very well for longer storage.
NotesBakeSpace Note: Please keep in mind that some experts express concern that homemade pet food may not contain the optimal combination of nutrients (amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals) that pets require for long-term health. Your pet’s species, breed, age and any existing medical problems should be considered before preparing a homemade meal. Please consult your veterinarian for more information.
You must SAVE this recipe
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More