- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 - 16oz can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 2 - small boiling potatoes, boiled, then mashed and chopped medium
- 1 - egg beaten or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup - shallots or red onion, chopped very fine
- 1 tblspn - fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tblspns - fresh mint or rosemary or cilantro, chopped fine
- (optional) 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened or 1/4 cup firm tofu, roasted
- (optional) 1/3 cup red, yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- (optional) 1/3 cup poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, de-seeded and chopped fine
- In a food processor, pulse the washed and drained garbanzo beans aka chickpeas.
- Once they are medium chopped, add the chopped potatoes, the egg, the onion or shallots, the fresh garlic and the lemon juice. Pulse all of this together making a heavy, finely chopped paste. Be sure to scrape the sides of the processor frequently. Do not become concerned if the mixture seems dry.
- Next, add in your choice of herb and any of the optional ingredients. Scrape the sides of the processor frequently and continue pulsing until all ingredients are well mixed in.
- Pull 3/4 cup portions of the mixture and shape into a patty. Fry in skillet sprayed with vegetable or canola oil and preheated to medium heat. Cook 3 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper on each side. Serve on whole wheat bun or pita with lettuce, red onion slices, tomato and condiments. Try a chow-chow or fresh herb aioli!!
NotesThis is a great low-glucose, meatless way to enjoy a sandwich! We served these on whole wheat buns with lettuce, roma tomato slices, red onion slices and some spicy, corn chow-chow!!!! Terrrrific!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More