- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 - 16oz can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 2 - small boiling potatoes, boiled, then mashed and chopped medium
- 1 - egg beaten or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup - shallots or red onion, chopped very fine
- 1 tblspn - fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tblspns - fresh mint or rosemary or cilantro, chopped fine
- (optional) 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened or 1/4 cup firm tofu, roasted
- (optional) 1/3 cup red, yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- (optional) 1/3 cup poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, de-seeded and chopped fine
- In a food processor, pulse the washed and drained garbanzo beans aka chickpeas.
- Once they are medium chopped, add the chopped potatoes, the egg, the onion or shallots, the fresh garlic and the lemon juice. Pulse all of this together making a heavy, finely chopped paste. Be sure to scrape the sides of the processor frequently. Do not become concerned if the mixture seems dry.
- Next, add in your choice of herb and any of the optional ingredients. Scrape the sides of the processor frequently and continue pulsing until all ingredients are well mixed in.
- Pull 3/4 cup portions of the mixture and shape into a patty. Fry in skillet sprayed with vegetable or canola oil and preheated to medium heat. Cook 3 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper on each side. Serve on whole wheat bun or pita with lettuce, red onion slices, tomato and condiments. Try a chow-chow or fresh herb aioli!!
NotesThis is a great low-glucose, meatless way to enjoy a sandwich! We served these on whole wheat buns with lettuce, roma tomato slices, red onion slices and some spicy, corn chow-chow!!!! Terrrrific!
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
My Family CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More