- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 t. Olive Oil
- 3 cups chopped roasted chicken (about half the meat from a roasted deli chicken, freeze and use the rest for chicken and dumplings later)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 frozen package bell pepper strips (with onions OK)
- Garlic Powder
- Dash Cayenne
- 2/3 to 1 whole brick LF cream cheese
- 3 small cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 10-12 8 inch flour tortillas
- 10-12 oz Queso Fresco (or any shredded cheese you like)
- Saute onion in olive oil in large pan over medium heat.
- When soft add the chicken and frozen peppers. Add spices to taste (the enchilada sauce will have some heat so keep that in mind.)
- Stir over medium heat until peppers and chicken are heated through.
- Remove pan from heat and add cream cheese, chopped chilies and half a can of enchilada sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon filling down the center of each, roll and place seam side down in 9x13 dish coated with cooking spray.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas in the pan.
- I am estimating 3 cans of sauce for a larger pan. I used 1 & 1/2 total in my square dish.
- Crumble Queso Fresco over the top of the dish. Bake at 325 for 30-45 minutes until sauce is bubbly and cheese melts.
- It took about a half hour for my small dish with no burning.
- You may want to cover the larger dish with foil for the first half hour to avoid the tortillas from burning/drying out too much.
NotesThis was my kitchen experiment from last night. I had some leftover chicken, tortillas, and cream cheese so I improvised the rest. I only had 5 tortillas left so I used a square dish, though I had enough filling for 10 or more so I have adjusted the recipe to fill a large pan. I froze the remaining filling with extra enchilada sauce. It may actually be good over pasta!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More