- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time: 840
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the yeast mixture and eggs; mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Pinch off a piece and form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
NotesThese tender rolls will melt in your mouth. Mom would set out her big square-footed honey bowl with them - some sweet butter and a drizzle of honey on these rolls is a special treat.
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wife
Gluten-Free and Delicious
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More