- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time: 840
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the yeast mixture and eggs; mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Pinch off a piece and form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
NotesThese tender rolls will melt in your mouth. Mom would set out her big square-footed honey bowl with them - some sweet butter and a drizzle of honey on these rolls is a special treat.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More