- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryIf you ask me what is the recipe for the best chili you've ever eaten, I'm gonna' tell you I'm still looking. This is the recipe I grew up with and it's pretty darn close. This definitely falls into the "comfort food" category.
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 Tb. fat (In this day & age I use olive oil!)
- 1- #2 1/2 can (3 1/2 c.) tomatoes ( I usually use a couple of quarts of home canned tomatoes.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Brown onion, green pepper and meat in hot oil in dutch oven or soup pot. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer 2 hours, adding water if necessary. Add beans last 1/2 hour and heat throughly.
- When I make chili, I always have on the table a bowl of chopped onion, a bowl of shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I also cook up a small amount of rice and have that available also. Then you can get creative!
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More