- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 Tb. fat (In this day & age I use olive oil!)
- 1- #2 1/2 can (3 1/2 c.) tomatoes ( I usually use a couple of quarts of home canned tomatoes.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Brown onion, green pepper and meat in hot oil in dutch oven or soup pot. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer 2 hours, adding water if necessary. Add beans last 1/2 hour and heat throughly.
- When I make chili, I always have on the table a bowl of chopped onion, a bowl of shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I also cook up a small amount of rice and have that available also. Then you can get creative!
NotesIf you ask me what is the recipe for the best chili you've ever eaten, I'm gonna' tell you I'm still looking. This is the recipe I grew up with and it's pretty darn close. This definitely falls into the "comfort food" category.