KOREAN BRAISED SHORT RIBS (KALBI CHIM)
- Beef short ribs, bones in, crosscut, trimmed 2 lbs
- Granulated sugar 2 TBSP
- Sesame oil 1 TBSP
- Canola oil as needed
- Onion, small dice 6 ounces
- Garlic, minced 3 cloves
- Scallions, chopped 5 each
- Pear, firm, diced 1 each
- Dried shiitake mushrooms 1 ounce
- Soy Sauce 4 fluid ounces
- Carrots, peeled, bias cut 1" thick 8 ounces
- Water as needed to cover fully
- Sesame seeds 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
Combine the short ribs, sugar, and sesame oil in a large bowl and combine well. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Heat the canola oil in a stew pot/large rondeau. Brown the short ribs well, and then add the onions, garlic, scallions, pear, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, carrots, and enough water just to cover.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
Uncover the pan and continue to cook for another 30 minutes to reduce the liquid. Test for tenderness, adding water as needed.
Finish with the sesame seeds, black pepper and sesame oil.