- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 48 Ounces of Chicken Stock – Heat to a low boil and salt to taste.
- 4 ounces white meat chicken – Precooked & chopped
- 1/2 Cup – 3/4 Cup Orzo (I use a 3/4 if I am dropping the Chicken)
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3 eggs
- Heat chicken broth to a low boil & add orzo. Simmer for 9 minutes
- Juice lemons & strain pulp & seeds. Set this aside
- Whisk eggs until well combined, continue whisking and pour in lemon in a thin stream (This prevents curdle)
- Once Orzo is cooked, remove 4 cups of hot stock from pot.
- Add chicken to the stock pot & cover.
- While Whisking the egg/lemon mixture again, slowly pour in the reserved chicken stock in a thin stream to “Condition” the eggs.
- Once hot broth is incorporated, add the egg/lemon/stock mixture back into the stock pot while stirring constantly.
- Keep covered at very low heat. Will have to be stirred occasionally. But DO NOT let it boil once the eggs have been added.
- Serve with thin slices of lemon and a sprig of dill.
NotesFor those who have never had this delicious soup, I know it sounds a little strange, but it is truly delectable, especially as a summer soup. To make this Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian, use vegetable stock and leave out the chicken.