KUNG PAO CHICKEN
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb chicken, boneless/skinless cubed
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup carrots, thinly sliced with a mandolin or veggie peeler
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Kung Pao sauce
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in wok or non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Toss chicken in cornstarch to coat and add to oil.
- Don't begin stirring chicken until the bottom has turned golden brown. Then stir occasionally until all pieces are crispy.
- Remove chicken from pan onto a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Add remaining sesame oil to pan and stir fry green onions, garlic, carrots, and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk 1/3 cup Kung Pao sauce with 1/4 cup water and add to skillet.
- Stir well and add chicken and peanuts, toss to coat.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice.
NotesCrispy chicken pieces are the key to a good Kung Pao chicken dish. I am still on the look-out for a *good* recipe for homemade Kung Pao Sauce as the recipes I've tried thus far have been very disappointing. This recipe calls for bottled Kung Pao.
Recipe from Confections of a Foodie Bride