- Cooking Time: 60 to 75
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup egg whites (about 7)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided into 2 portions is separate bowls
- 2 1/4 cups Swans-Down Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- drained/reserved juice from a 20 0z can of crushed pineapple plus water to equal 3/4 cup
- 5 egg yolks
- Pineapple Topping:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- little sugar to sweeten cream
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix cake flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt, aerate using low speed of electic mixer.
- Add oil, egg yolks and pineapple juice. Beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together until large bubbles disappear.
- Slowly add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue beating until very stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk mixture over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula making sure it is well blended from the bottom.
- Pour into a 10-inch ungreased tube pan and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert and cool. Remove cake from pan. Frost with Pineapple topping.
- Whip the whipping cream and sugar in a cold bowl. Fold in the crushed pineapple and use to top or frost the Pineapple Chiffon Cake.
- Maple-Nut chiffon cake. Substitute ¾ cup packed brown sugar in the egg yolk mixture. Substitute cold water for the pineapple juice and add 2 teaspoons maple flavoring. Fold in 1 cup very finely chopped nuts.
- Orange chiffon cake: Substitute cold water for the pineapple juice. Add 2 tablespoons grated orange zest.
NotesBetty Crocker begged for this recipe in the 40s from an insurance car salesman named Harry Baker who made this light as angel food cake and rich as a butter cake famous in the LA area. At first Mr. Baker didn’t want to give the recipe but Betty Crocker kept on pleading in one radio show and the rest is history. The chiffon cake was then considered the cake discovery of the century.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More