L'SHANA TOVA FRUIT CAKE (JEWISH NEW YEAR'S FRUIT CAKE)
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cups vegetable fat
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup candied cherries, finely sliced
- 1 cup citron, finely sliced
- 1 cup orange peel, finely sliced
- 1 cup lemon peel, finely sliced
- 2 cups seedless raisins
- 2 cups currants
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup plum jelly
- 1 cup honey
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream the fat; add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beat well.
- Add the fruit, and nuts which have been mixed with a little flour; mix well.
- Add the jelly and honey; mix well.
- Add flour mixture about a third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Bake in well-greased, parchment paper lined cake pans, filling each 2/3 full of batter.
- To determine baking time, weigh the filled pan.
- Bake in a slow oven (225ºF), allowing an hour for the first pound; add 3/4 hour for each additional pound of batter in baking pan.
- This recipe makes 10 pounds.
NotesTo all our jewish friends: "L'shana tova tikatevu" - "May you be inscribed for a good year." Folks you don't have to be jewish to like this cake, because we are not jewish and we like this cake. The recipe we found in the Jewish Festival Cookbook.