- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis enchilada casserole came by accident, starting with too much filling for the enchiladas. Not only was the casserole delicious, but my family loves the leftovers (even with wilted lettuce).
- 4 to 5 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 2 cups Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups corn chips, slightly crushed, divided
- 2 cups salsa, enchilada or taco sauce, divided (I used vegetable salsa--what I had on hand.)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- lettuce, chopped
- tomatoes, chopped
- -- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9 by 13 - inch pan.
- -- Mix shredded chicken with 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cheese, 1 cup corn chips, 1 cups salsa, and onion. Spread in pan.
- -- Bake 25 to 35 minutes.
- -- In order given, layer remaining: sour cream, salsa, corn chips, and cheese. Put in oven another 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- -- Just before serving, add a layer of chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes.