- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. lamb (shoulder or leg, cut into 1-2" pieces)
- flour, for dredging
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1/4 lb. green beans or haricots vertes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. ground marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup pearl barley
- salt and pepper.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven. Add the lamb in batches, if necessary, and brown on all sides (not cooking through). Remove.
- To the dutch oven, add the onion (and more oil if necessary) and saute until just tender. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the browned bits. Reduce slightly before adding the broth, bay leaf, marjoram, green beans and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and then add the lamb and the barley. Cover, cooking for about 45 minutes until barley is cooked and lamb is tender. (I took the lid off for about 5 additional minutes at the end to thicken the stew slightly). Season to taste.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More