- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- Salt, To Taste
- Pepper, To Taste
- 2 Cups Diced Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Tablespoon Anchovy Paste
- 4 Tablespoons Whole Capers In Brine, Drained
- 3/4 Cup Black Olives, Quartered
- 2 Cups Beef Stock Or Canned Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Pound Rigatoni Pasta, Cooked, For Serving
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley, For Garnish
- 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese, For Garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat oil in ovenproof pot over high heat. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides, remove from pot; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot, add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté on medium heat until vegetables are tender, 6 minutes. Add wine, anchovy paste, capers and olives; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated. Add stock and tomatoes, stirring to combine all ingredients. Add shanks back to pot. Bring to boil on stovetop before covering tightly and placing in oven.
- Turn lamb shanks after 1 hour, cover and place back in oven for 1 more hour, or until meat is tender enough to fall off the bone. Remove shanks from braising liquid and set aside to cool.
- When shanks are cool enough to handle, shred meat, discarding excess fat and bone. Add meat back to braising liquid, stirring to combine. Warm gently over low heat and serve with rigatoni pasta. Garnish with chopped parsley and feta sprinkled on each portion. Makes 8 servings. Adapted from American Lamb Board.
- Note: I didn't totally shred the meat, but left it a little chunky. I also didn't use wine, but used more beef broth.
NotesFor quite a while I have been seeing recipes for Lamb Ragu and was thinking about making one, but wasn't sure if I would really like something like this. Well, one day I ran across yet another recipe and decided to try it. Well, my husband raved about it and told his friends at work about it. And I enjoyed it too. These savory, meaty lamb shanks are set off by a robust sauce that's ladled over rigatoni. Enjoy with a green salad and bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More