- Cooking Time: 330
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cubed raw bacon or pancetta
- 3 medium leeks
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives
- 1 28-oz. can Italian peeled tomatoes
- Marinate the lamb shanks in the wine, vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 to 4 hours.
- Save 1/2 cup of the marinade.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On top of the stove, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the rosemary to a Dutch Oven (or other heavy oven-proof with dish with a lid) and heat till quite hot.
- Add the lamb shanks and brown both sides.
- Remove and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the bacon, leeks and olives and cook until the leeks just start to brown.
- Arrange the lamb shanks on top of the vegetable mixture, add the can of tomatoes and marinade, cook about 10 minutes until bubbling nicely.
- Put the dish in the oven and cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Reduce to 200 degrees and cook for 4 to six hours longer.
- Serve with risotto or noodles.
NotesThis lamb recipe is the perfect dish to make on a cold winter's night.. But be careful...because served with a glass of robust red wine, it is bound to seduce everyone at the table!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More