- Cooking Time: 330
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cubed raw bacon or pancetta
- 3 medium leeks
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives
- 1 28-oz. can Italian peeled tomatoes
- Marinate the lamb shanks in the wine, vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 to 4 hours.
- Save 1/2 cup of the marinade.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On top of the stove, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the rosemary to a Dutch Oven (or other heavy oven-proof with dish with a lid) and heat till quite hot.
- Add the lamb shanks and brown both sides.
- Remove and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the bacon, leeks and olives and cook until the leeks just start to brown.
- Arrange the lamb shanks on top of the vegetable mixture, add the can of tomatoes and marinade, cook about 10 minutes until bubbling nicely.
- Put the dish in the oven and cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Reduce to 200 degrees and cook for 4 to six hours longer.
- Serve with risotto or noodles.
NotesThis lamb recipe is the perfect dish to make on a cold winter's night.. But be careful...because served with a glass of robust red wine, it is bound to seduce everyone at the table!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Jean’s Recipe File
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More