- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x 1kg 250g Lamb shoulder, knuckle removed
- 1 bulb Garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 450g Onions, grated
- 175g Dried apricots, soaked in water to cover
- 75g flaked almonds
- 50g sultanas or raisins
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 500ml tomato juice
- 700g Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 500ml lamb stock
- For the lemon and coriander garnish:
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 pickled lemon, chopped
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped Coriander
- Combine the ginger, pepper and cinnamon and rub all over the lamb.
- Leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2.
- Shred three of the garlic cloves.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, make small indentations all over the lamb and push in slivers of garlic.
- Finely chop the remaining garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy casserole pan set over a high heat.
- Quickly brown the lamb all over - it should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining garlic and onion to the same pan; turn down the heat and soften the onions, without letting them brown.
- Add the apricots along with their soaking water. Stir in the almonds, raisins, sultanas, honey, tomato juice, tomatoes and lamb stock.
- Bring to the boil, place in the oven and cook for 3 hours.
- For the lemon and coriander garnish, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the lemon rind, saffron, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper and chopped coriander.
- Fry gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and serve with the lemon and coriander garnish on the side.
- This dish goes particularly well with jewelled couscous.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More