- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Sponge Cake
- 6 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 30g butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp hot water
- Chocolate Icing
- 300g pure icing sugar
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 15g unsalted butter
- 125mL milk
- 375g dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and lightly grease and line the base of a 18cm x 28cm tin with baking paper.
- To make the cake, beat the eggs for about 5 mins with an electric beater till they are light and fluffy, then gradually add the sugar and continue to beat till the mixture is thick and the sugar has dissolved.
- Sift in the flour and fold in lightly, then add the butter and water and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30 mins or till lighty golden on top and a skewer comes out clean (be sure not to overbake!)
- To make the chocolate icing, put the sugar, dark chocolate, butter and milk into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir till melted and well combined.
- Cut the cooled sponge into 16 squares (or however many float your boat) and pour the coconut into a bowl.
- Skewer each sponge with a fork and coat with the chocolate (making sure it’s completely covered) then let the excess drip off before tossing through the coconut and placing on piece of baking paper to dry completely.
- Enjoy! :D
NotesYou can read more about this recipe on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More