- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 16-oz can pumpkin puree -or- 1 3/4 cup cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup light cream (half and half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the curry powder and coriander and stir to combine.
- Cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the broth and pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin and cream.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Makes 4 cups.
NotesMy dad made this almost every Thanksgiving growing up. It was different from our usual Better Homes and Gardens-inspired fare, with its combination of curry, coriander, and red pepper, and thus was worthy of a special occasion. Everyone always wanted seconds, so he doubled the recipe, and even then, we still wanted more. Several years ago, it passed the test kitchen of the Fort Lauderdale Junior League and was published in their cookbook, Paradise Served. Enjoy!
Submitted by: "Andrea Rist"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Frying Pan Cookies
Angel Food Cupcakes With Raspberry Swirl
Home-Style Asian BurgerSee More