- Cooking Time: 40-45
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups fresh unsweetened blackberries
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth; add to crumb mixture. Toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, combine 2 cups sugar and flour in a large saucepan; add blackberries. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and cinnamon. Cool slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread with filling. Roll remaining dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; cut into 1/2 inch strips. Make a lattice crust over filling; seal and flute edges.
- Brush egg over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 F. for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Slice into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
- See other recipes at: www.havefunbaking.com
- And check out: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com
NotesThere is nothing better than a fresh fruit dessert.They are certainly one of my favorite things to bake. This recipe can be made using blackberries or blueberries, I have used both and they are both delicious. This recipe makes a large pan of bars, so it would be good for a pot luck or a family gathering.