- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2.5 lbs Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Mix apples, sugar, cinnamon and flour in a bowl. Cover for several hours or over night. Drain liquid.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and walnuts in a bowl. Add butter and rub mixture with fingertips until moist clumps form. (Topping can be prepared up to 3 days ahead). Cover and refrigerate. Let topping soften slightly at room temperature before using.
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
- Place rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Roll out dough disc on floured surface to 13 inch round (make dough very thin). Transfer to 9 inch glass pie dish. Trim edges, leaving 1/2 inch overhang. Spoon filling into crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- Lattice Top:
- Brush edge of crust with water. Roll out second dough disc on floured suface to 12 inch square. Using pastry wheel or knife, cut square into 10 3/4 inch wide strips. Twist 1 strip 4 times and lay strip across pie. Repeat with 4 more strips, spacing equally. Twist 1 strip as before and place diagonally atop other strips, spacing equally to form lattice. Trim strips to align with edge of crust. Press strip ends into edge. Fold crust overhang over ends of strips; press to seal. Crimp edge. Brush edge with cream (and sugar if desired).
- Bake pie at 375 degrees until crust is golden and topping is brown, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.
- To make the lattice tighter, use more strips and make them touch. Also, when using more strips, put every other one down and weave the ones going the other way through them.
- Instead of a lattice top, you can use cookie cutters (such as leaves) and place the cut outs on top of the crunch topping for a different look.
NotesThis is a combination of 3 different apple pie recipes. The crunch is what makes the difference.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing RecipesSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More