- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- ½ cup dried culinary lavender flowers* OR
- 1 cup culinary lavender flowers, fresh*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Adjust the baking rack to the middle shelf. Lightly grease a metal baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat an egg and add one tablespoon of heavy cream to it. Set aside. Whisk remaining egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract together in medium bowl.
- Sift flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in together until blended in a large bowl. Add butter and rub in with finger tips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Make well in center. Add buttermilk mixture and stir until batter forms moist clumps. Carefully stir in lavender flowers.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead gently until dough comes together and is smooth, about 10 seconds. Pat dough into 7-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Using sharp knife, cut circle into 8 wedges. With pastry brush, remove excess flour from wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg and cream glaze, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of scones comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 15 minutes. Transfer scones to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cooled scones can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 days, or they can be frozen for a month.)
- *Having trouble finding lavender? Try contacting Culinary Specialty Produce in Mountainside. They offer a variety of produce as well as herbs and spices. Culinary Specialty Produce, 1190 Route 22 West, Mountainside, NJ 07092, 908-789-4702, http://www.culinaryproduce.com/about/index.htm
NotesI developed these recipes for Garden Plate magazine's May / June 2008 issue.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Recipes for Vitality
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More