- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature
- 15 ounces brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, fresh
- 9 ounces cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 375*.
- Melt the chocolate over a bain marie and hold warm, not hot.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl; beating until fluffy. Add one egg at a time, scrape down the sides of the bowl to mix all the ingredients.
- Add the melted chocolate to the butter/ sugar/ egg mixture and mix.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the butter/ sugar/ egg/ chocolate mixture. Scrape down after all ingredients have been added.
- SLOWLY (so not to burn yourself with boiling water) stir in the boiling water and vanilla. The mixture will look runny. Don't worry, that is what it is supposed to look like.
- Grease and line the bottom of 3- 6" cake pans. Tap pans lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in 375* oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick someone out clean.
- Cool overnight.
NotesAmazing cake. A little more complex than a traditional chocolate but well worth the extra effort. Pairs well with the Fudge Frosting recipe.
Check out the video on how to cut and fill the cake!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
culinary karmaSee More
Walnut, Honey & Espresso Caramels
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Pizza
Rice PuddingSee More