- Cooking Time: 7 hrs (4/7 for setting)
- Servings: 12 slices
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
BackstoryI love cheesecake!!! Some people might be put off by the water bath method, however, once you get that and the base for the cake down, the flavor combos are endless...
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 (8 ounce) bricks cream cheese, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip, whole
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat an 8 inch springform pan with nonstick baking spray. Take bottom insert of pan and trace on parchment paper. Cut out and lay markings side down on pan insert. Lock pan sides into place. Wrap outside of springform pan with a few layers of oven-safe plastic wrap, then foil (taking care to make sure no plastic wrap is exposed) to form a water proof barrier for cake. Have ready a roasting pan larger than the springform pan.
- Crust: Put crumbs in a small bowl and stir in melted butter until combined. Press crumb mixture firmly in bottom of pan and up sides. Bake 8 - 10 minutes until set. Cool on rack. Reduce oven to 300°F.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl with mixer on med speed until smooth, scraping sides and bottom of bowl several times with rubber spatula. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, just until blended. Then beat in sour cream and vanilla to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 med bowls. Add espresso powder to melted dark chocolate and stir until well combined. Stir mocha mix into 1 bowl of reserved cheesecake base; pour into crust in am even layer. Stir melted semi-sweet chocolate into 1 bowl and fold in mini chocolate chips; carefully spoon over mocha layer to cover, then gently smooth into an even layer with a rubber spatula.
- Set springform pan in center of roasting pan. Place roasting pan in oven center rack and add boiling water to come halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hour until set, but center still jiggles slightly when shaken.
- Turn off oven (leave door closed); let cake cool in oven 1 hour (if cake has not pulled away from sides of pan, carefully run a knife that has been dipped in warm water around edge of pan to release cake). Remove foil and plastic wrap. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove pan sides, carefully slide flat spatula or knife between parchment paper and and pan bottom, gently slide cake onto a cake stand. With a knife that's been dipped in hot water, cut a slice and dig in!