- Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 5-6 lb. leg of lamb (semi-boned if possible)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in strips
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper, thyme
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1/2 c. cold water
- 1/2 c. red wine (optional)
- Bouquet Garni (parsley, bay leaf, garlic)
- Rinse leg of lamb and wipe with damp cloth. Puncture lamb and insert tiny strips of garlic. Rub with oil and sprinkle on salt, pepper and thyme. Rub in. Put in oven roasting pan with bouquet of herbs. Sear roast on all sides in very hot oven (450 degrees) until well browned, 20 minutes. Remove bouquet if used. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and roast 20 minutes per pound. Add cold water and wine (if desired). Baste roast frequently. Put onion and carrot around lamb and start at 325 degrees roasting.
- FOR GRAVY:
- Remove all but 4 tablespoons of fat from drippings in roaster. 1/8 tsp. nutmeg 1/8 tsp. ginger 3 tbsp. flour Salt and pepper to taste Parsley (optional)
- Pour drippings into pan. Mix bouillon with flour until smooth. Add nutmeg and ginger. Pour into essence. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Sprinkle in minced parsley. Serves 10-12.