- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOk so this recipe was on the menu at a restaurant i used to work at... I nagged the head chef to let me have the recipe for months and months and months .. but he said no... until it was my parents 60th wedding anniversary... and i devised a dessert encompassing this cake... once i presented it to him and told him what it was for he agreed finally... He then went on to tell me that this recipe had been his grandmother's... and her grandmother's before that and it had been passed down through the family since day dot. He had never let the recipe leave him and no one else ever made it outside his family. Well this version anyways. Hope you enjoy as much as my parents did.
- 3 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Sunflower Oil
- Sift flour and dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and add the other ingredients.
- Stir in 1 cup of Hot water. Beat until smooth.
- Normally i cook this in a muffin tray or a rectangular cake tin... because it is such a wet mix it is harder to get a round cake from it unless you use a ring tin.
- Oven Temp 180C; Bake Time 50 mins; Cooling 20 mins. in the tin