- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light vegetable oil
- Scant 1 cup (250 g) dark liquid honey
- 2 tbsp. rum or brandy
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm strong black coffee
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. powdered cloves
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups (300g) flour, plus extra to dust the drived fruit and nuts 1/2 (50 g) coarsely chopped walnuts or slivered almonds
- 1//3 (40g) golden raisins
- Beat the eggs with the sugar till pale and creamy.
- Then beat in the oil, honey, brandy, and coffee.
- Mix the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and orange zest with the flour.
- Add gradually to the egg and honey mixture, beating vigorously to a smooth batter.
- Dust the golden raisins and the walnuts or almonds with flour to prevent them from dropping to the bottom of the cake, and stir them into the batter.
- Line a 9 inch pan with greaseproof paper or with foil, brushed with oil and dusted with flour, and pour in the batter.
- OR divide between two 9 by 5 inch loaf pans. Bake the large cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours, or longer, until firm and brown on top, and the smaller ones for 1 hour.
NotesHoney cake is the traditional cake of Rosh Hashanah, symbolizing the hope that the new Year will be sweet, and also of Purim.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Christmas CookiesSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More