- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light vegetable oil
- Scant 1 cup (250 g) dark liquid honey
- 2 tbsp. rum or brandy
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm strong black coffee
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. powdered cloves
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups (300g) flour, plus extra to dust the drived fruit and nuts 1/2 (50 g) coarsely chopped walnuts or slivered almonds
- 1//3 (40g) golden raisins
- Beat the eggs with the sugar till pale and creamy.
- Then beat in the oil, honey, brandy, and coffee.
- Mix the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and orange zest with the flour.
- Add gradually to the egg and honey mixture, beating vigorously to a smooth batter.
- Dust the golden raisins and the walnuts or almonds with flour to prevent them from dropping to the bottom of the cake, and stir them into the batter.
- Line a 9 inch pan with greaseproof paper or with foil, brushed with oil and dusted with flour, and pour in the batter.
- OR divide between two 9 by 5 inch loaf pans. Bake the large cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours, or longer, until firm and brown on top, and the smaller ones for 1 hour.
NotesHoney cake is the traditional cake of Rosh Hashanah, symbolizing the hope that the new Year will be sweet, and also of Purim.