- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryInspired by the French, and a need for stress relief.
This recipe is loose, eggless, dairyless, and totally adaptable to your palate and cabinet. Add poppyseeds, change it to orange or grapefruit, add nuts chopped or ground, or a different flour, a dash of liquor (Grand marnier? Lemoncello? Rum? Why not?). Make it your own with berries or fruit, alternative sweeteners like maple syrup or agave nectar, cacao nibs.
If you have no egg replacer, add either more yogurt or some whizzed silken tofu, with a tablespoon of vinegar and 2 tsp baking soda in the dry mix.
Made with eggs and dairy, use 6 eggs, 1 cup of yogurt, and more sugar, as soy yogurt tends to be sweeter.
- 3 cups flour (all purpose or pastry)
- 1 cup sugar (any kind, really, granulated or confectioner's for a lighter texture)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- a good dash of salt, definitely more than a pinch
- As much dry lemon zest as you please
- Juice and zest from one large lemon, or two small.
- 1 1/3 cups soy yogurt
- A glug of vanilla
- 1/2 cup light oil, like canola (safflower, sunflower, grapeseed will do fine)
- 9 teaspoons en-r-egg
- 3 tablespoons of water
- OR - follow instructions for your own egg replacer for 6 eggs.
- For two 9'' rounds:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare pans with nonstick spray, or grease and flour.
- Mix together first 5 ingredients.
- Combine wet, dry, and egg replacer until just combined.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Cake top should be golden and spring back when touched. A toothpick should not be Entirely clean, there should be some crumbs. Allow cake to cool in pans before transferring to a rack.
- Whisk next 4 ingrediemts until smooth.