- Cooking Time: 50-55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
BackstoryI don't remember how this recipe came to me, I just know every time I make it, it is a major hit! This cake is so moist, so flavorful -- if you like lemon and almond, this cake is for you!
- 1/2 cup fragrant almond oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces almond paste, cut into pieces
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Using a tablespoon or so of the almond oil, lightly oil the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan. Line with a round of Reynolds Parchment Paper, lightly oil this with another tablespoon or so of the oil and then dust with flour shaking out the excess.
- With an electric mixer beat the butter, remaining oil (you should have around 1/3 cup) and sugar together until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the almond paste, lemon zest and juice and beat until smooth. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out nearly clean. While cake is baking, combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and over moderate heat stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cake is done, cool on a rack for 15 minutes and then turn cake out to cool completely. Transfer cake, topside up to a plate and brush glaze over the top so that it soaks in completely. Cake can be made up to 2 days ahead. Wrap in plastic and store at room temperature.