- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup cake flour (about 2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup egg whites (about 5 large eggs)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Lemon Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Edible flowers such as pansies or rosebuds (optional)
- Lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour and 3/4 cup powdered sugar into a medium bowl; repeat the procedure 2 times.
- Beat egg whites and salt with a mixer at high speed until frothy (about 1 minute). Add cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition. Stir in vanilla and rind.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended. Add milk and lemon juice; beat until fluffy. Add more lemon juice as needed to adjust the consistency. Spread 2 tablespoons lemon frosting over each cupcake. Garnish with edible pansies and rosebuds, if desired.
NotesI was invited to a birthday party and wanted to bring along a "healthier" dessert. In my search, I came upon this recipe from Cooking Light. The cupcakes were delightful - light, airy, and lemony. You'd never guess that they're so light in calories and fat!
The birthday girl's name was Megan, so I wrote a little M on each cupcake with colored icing.
Sifting the flour mixture thoroughly three times incorporates the powdered sugar for a light, tender cupcake. Top with tiny edible pansy blossoms or rosebuds for decoration. Store extra cupcakes in an airtight container, or send them home with guests as party favors.
CALORIES 144 (18% from fat); FAT 2.9g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 1.6g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 4mg; SODIUM 58mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 0.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.9g