- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryI have made a Chocolate Angel Pie for every holiday for over 30 years. About five years ago, my mother-in-law came to live with us, and, while she likes my chocolate pie, she indicated that she would prefer a lemon version. Now, I knew that a recipe existed, but I was too lazy to search, so I came up with my own recipe. I have since seen other recipes, but I like my version the best!
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten (I use dried egg whites)
- 1 (8 oz) container non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” glass pie plate.
- In large bowl, beat 4 egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Add sugar slowly until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue in pie plate, making a “well” in the center for the filling.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and leave crust in oven for at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
- In small, heavy saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, and sugar. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Fold beaten egg whites into lemon mixture, and then fold in whipped topping.
- Spread lemon mixture into pie shell and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve, whip whipping cream with powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie. Garnish with lemon zest.