- Cooking Time: 55
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Sprinkle of salt
- 5 tb of melted butter
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 lemon unwaxed & clean (you get to use it all!)
- 3 tb of fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tsp of cornstarch
- sprinkle of salt
- 3 tb of melted butter
- Butter an 8 inch brownie pan. Cover with foil that hangs over two edges. I know it sounds redundant but trust me this is important. I accidentally left a little hole in the foil and the bars stuck. I mean really stuck, as in someone in my family may have eaten some foil along with their lemon bar. Another reason to make this asap, it's that delicious even with foil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients together until smooth.
- Push into the brownie pan, get into those corners!, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes
- The Filling
- Cut the lemon in half, remove the seeds and then cut it into chunks. Put in a food processor with lemon juice and sugar and let it run until the mix is smooth. Add the other filling ingredients and continue to mix until smooth. Some lemon chucks are fine, it gives the bar a wonderful texture and a nice, surprising, crunch.
- After the 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 300. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about 30 minutes. The filling should move in the middle but have a solid top layer.
- Allow to cool before lifting out of the pan, by the foil, and allowing to cool on a rack.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
NotesI love lemon. It's my favorite fruit by far. If there were a competition to see who could eat the most lemons, without making a face, I would immediately lose. But, I think that's what makes lemons great. I usually make that sour lemon face (do you see what I did there?) when I see a recipe with a lot of eggs. But, these lemon bars from David Lebovitz are a gem. I made them at 8 PM and they barely lasted until the next morning's breakfast. A simple, easy and delicious treat for the lemon lover.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Breads and Pastry 101
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More