- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (4 to 5-pound) roasting chicken
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 cups (3/4-inch) bread cubes (1 baguette or round boule)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Take the giblets out of the chicken and wash it inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers.
- Toss the onion with a little olive oil in a small roasting pan.
- Place the chicken on top and sprinkle the inside of the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Place the lemons inside the chicken.
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels, brush it with the melted butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- Cover with foil and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. (The onions may burn, but the flavor is good.)
- Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until very hot.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and saute the bread cubes, tossing frequently, until nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add more olive oil, as needed, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the croutons on a serving platter.
- Slice the chicken and place it, plus all the pan juices, over the croutons.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve warm.
NotesRecipe from Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More