- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl;let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9 in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Cool, without stirring, to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Gradually add water, beating until smooth. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with coconut.
NotesThis recipe is from the June 2006 Taste of Home magazine. It's from our TOH BB friend LaDonna, who is a Field Editor for Taste Of Home magazine. I took her advice and used a cake mix to speed things up, but here's the complete recipe:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More