- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl;let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9 in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Cool, without stirring, to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Gradually add water, beating until smooth. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with coconut.
NotesThis recipe is from the June 2006 Taste of Home magazine. It's from our TOH BB friend LaDonna, who is a Field Editor for Taste Of Home magazine. I took her advice and used a cake mix to speed things up, but here's the complete recipe:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More