- Cooking Time: 12-20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup cold margarine
- 2 Cups oats
- 1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, sour milk)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- 2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- 3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl
- 4. Add margarine and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter, or fork, or 2 knives. Mixture should look pearly and crumbly.
- 5. Stir in the oats and lemon zest.
- 6. Stir in the buttermilk and craisins until just moistened
- 7. Bring dough together using your hands. If dough is too crumbly add a little more buttermilk. Try to avoid over-mixing
- 8. Divide dough into 2 inch balls, place on pan and flatten. Ensure that there is space between each ball
- 9. You can sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- 10. Bake for 12-20 minutes until browned and edges look dry. Be sure not to undercook, these taste best when the outside is a little crunchy
NotesThis is an alteration of the Strawberry Oat Scones we made before.