Why I Love This Recipe
This is an alteration of the Strawberry Oat Scones we made before.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 Cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Cup cold margarine
2 Cups oats
1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, sour milk)
Zest of 2 lemons
1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl
4. Add margarine and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter, or fork, or 2 knives. Mixture should look pearly and crumbly.
5. Stir in the oats and lemon zest.
6. Stir in the buttermilk and craisins until just moistened
7. Bring dough together using your hands. If dough is too crumbly add a little more buttermilk. Try to avoid over-mixing
8. Divide dough into 2 inch balls, place on pan and flatten. Ensure that there is space between each ball
9. You can sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
10. Bake for 12-20 minutes until browned and edges look dry. Be sure not to undercook, these taste best when the outside is a little crunchy
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Scone