- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese cupcakes were inspired by a Martha Stewart recipe for yellow cake with vanilla frosting. I can never leave well enough alone, I always have to tweak a recipe. Luckily that sometimes pays off, as it did with these cupcakes. They have the perfect delicate lemon flavor, not overpowering, just right.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line 12 standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk mixture, then remaining dry ingredients.
- Add lemon juice and zest. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly amoung prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.