- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 300
BackstoryThis is little work, so I only make this for my son's birthday. Great for a family dinner.(Adapted from Bon Appétit)
- For the Lemon-Lime curd:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- Pinch of salt
- For the pecan crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the ice cream filling:
- 3 cups vanilla bean ice cream, slightly softened and divided
- For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- To make the lemon-lime curd
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and egg yolks.
- In a medium metal bowl, add butter and set bowl over large saucepan of simmering water - making sure the bottom is not touching the water. When the butter has melted, whisk in sugar, lemon juice, lime juice, lemon zest, lime zest and salt. Slowly whisk in egg mixture. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and a thermometer inserted into the curd registers 178�F to 180�F, about 8 minutes. Scoop mixture into a small bowl and place plastic wrap on top of curd - place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours.
- To make the crust
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a medium bowl, mix together pecans, sugar and butter until well combined. Scoop mixture into a 9" glass pie dish lightly coated with nonstick spray - press pecan mixture over the bottom and up sides. Bake until crust is lightly toasted, about 12 minutes - it is okay if the crust begins to slide down, just use the back of a spoon to press crust back into place as soon as it is ready. Remove and place pie dish on a wire rack to cool. Place crust in the freeze for 30 minutes.
- To assemble the filling
- Using 1 1/2 cups softened ice cream, drop dollops all over the cold crust - use an off-set spatula to spread ice cream into an even layer. Quickly spread lemon-lime curd over ice cream - freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Drop dollops of the remaining softened ice cream over the firm curd - use an off-set spatula to spread into even layer. Cover and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make the meringue
- Preheat oven to 500
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites in medium bowl until frothy. Beat in cream of tartar. While the eggs are whipping, gradually add the granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Scoop meringue over the frozen pie and use an off-set spatula to spread the meringue all over the top, making sure that the meringue goes to the edge to seal.
- Place pie in the heated oven just until meringue is golden in spots, about 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove and cut into wedges to serve.
- PREP TIME 5 Hours
- COOK TIME 30 Min
- SERVINGS 8
Baylee's Healthy Bytes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More