- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: one pie, 6-8 srvings
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Mix well. Add vanilla.
- 2. Pour into greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- 3. In heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, sugar, flour and peel; bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Place cake on baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake to 1/2 inch from the edge.
- 4. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, beat on high for 1 minute. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 305 degrees (F) for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
NotesI found this recipe in a Taste of Home booklet and had to try it. It was a hit at my family's Sunday supper. It's delicious and I just love the different textures of this cake. Wha's great about this recipe is that no part of the four eggs is wasted!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More