- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: one pie, 6-8 srvings
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI found this recipe in a Taste of Home booklet and had to try it. It was a hit at my family's Sunday supper. It's delicious and I just love the different textures of this cake. Wha's great about this recipe is that no part of the four eggs is wasted!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Mix well. Add vanilla.
- 2. Pour into greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- 3. In heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, sugar, flour and peel; bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Place cake on baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake to 1/2 inch from the edge.
- 4. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, beat on high for 1 minute. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 305 degrees (F) for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More