- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- ½ pound unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine ¼ cup lemon juice, the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Use cupcake tins and fill tins about 3/4's full. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until tops no longer dent when touched or toothpick comes out clean.
- After the cupcakes cooled, I spread a storebought lemon curd on them. I did mix a little powdered sugar into it to cut the tartness
- I whipped up about a cup of egg whites and added vanilla and powdered sugar to it to make my own. Spread that on top of the curd on each cupcake and put them back on the top shelf of the oven at 375 for about 5 minutes to brown the tops.
NotesThe actual cupcake recipe comes from the Barefoot Contessa's lemon cake. I adjusted very little to make mini cupcakes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More