- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 3 lg Egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- One 8-inch pie shell; baked
- FOR THE MERINGUE TOPPING
- 3 lg Egg whites; at room temp.
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup Plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Gradually add the water and lemon juice, stirring to make a smooth mixture.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil 1 minute, still stirring, as it turns thick and clear, then remove from the heat.
- Pour half the hot- mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly, then pour the mixture back into the pan, stirring to keep the eggs from scrambling.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, a few minutes more. Stir in the butter and lemon zest.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the baked pie shell and smooth with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites in a large clean glass bowl with the cream of tartar.
- When they make soft peaks, gradually add the sugar and continue until the meringue becomes stiff and glossy and the sugar crystals are dissolved (rub a little between your fingers to feel).
- Spoon the meringue over the lemon filling, making sure the edges are covered and sealed (otherwise the filling will bubble out).
- Smooth the meringue, then make peaks (or whatever design you wish) with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until the surface is lightly browned, about 12 minutes.
- Cool before serving; refrigerate if not serving right away.
NotesMy dad loved this pie. It takes a little time to make, but it is an old American favorite without any gussying up.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More