- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3/4 c, sugar
- 1/3 c. Cornstarch
- Yolks from 4 eggs
- Whites from 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. Fresh lemon juice
- 2 c. Water
- 2 TB butter, cut up
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Pie Crust
- Whisk 1 1/4 cups sugar and cornstarch in a 2 qt. Saucepan.
- Whisk in egg yolks and lemon juice until smooth.
- Stir in water; continue stirring over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Boil about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until filling is translucent and thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and lemon zest, stirring until butter melts.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1TB. at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar dissolves. Beat 2 minutes longer or until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Spoon meringue around edge of filling; spread to edge of crust to seal.
- Spoon remaining meringue in center; spread and swirl with back of teaspoon to cover filling evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meringue is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of meringue registers 160*F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- To serve, cut with a long-blade knife dipped in cold water.
NotesI found this one when my grandson requested that I make one. He gave it a 2 thumbs up.
50 Shades of Taste
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More