- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3/4 c, sugar
- 1/3 c. Cornstarch
- Yolks from 4 eggs
- Whites from 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. Fresh lemon juice
- 2 c. Water
- 2 TB butter, cut up
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Pie Crust
- Whisk 1 1/4 cups sugar and cornstarch in a 2 qt. Saucepan.
- Whisk in egg yolks and lemon juice until smooth.
- Stir in water; continue stirring over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Boil about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until filling is translucent and thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and lemon zest, stirring until butter melts.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1TB. at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar dissolves. Beat 2 minutes longer or until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Spoon meringue around edge of filling; spread to edge of crust to seal.
- Spoon remaining meringue in center; spread and swirl with back of teaspoon to cover filling evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meringue is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of meringue registers 160*F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- To serve, cut with a long-blade knife dipped in cold water.
NotesI found this one when my grandson requested that I make one. He gave it a 2 thumbs up.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More