- Cooking Time: 23 to 25
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 5
BackstoryI love butter. And butter loves me. Well, my hips and thighs are really where it's true devotion lies. While baking with olive oil is nothing new, I just wasn't ready to let go of my grasp on my first true love. I've tasted some lovely cakes but none were enough to push me over the edge.
Until I met the olive oil muffin at Maialino. It was more like a brief encounter. Okay, really it was the equivalent to bumping into a friend, while you're with someone else and not getting an introduction. Five minutes later, said friend tells you they're really sorry for being so rude.
Last week, my girlfriend and I took our daughters to breakfast. Having been plied with more goodies than you can imagine (I will replicate those delicate ricotta pancakes), I decided the lone olive oil muffin sitting on the table would make a good snack for Isabella later in the day. She's normally a very generous kid, and sharing isn't an issue—except this time. since dear old mom didn't get to taste this lovely looking muffin, I went home to recreate my own version.
- 2 cups (8.5 ounces) flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil or regular
- 1 (8 ounces) cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) poppy seeds
- 3 large eggs (200ml), at room temperature
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon (50ml)
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line one 12-cup muffin tin and one 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. Whisk flour, lemon zest, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds in a bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, olive oil, sugar and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and pour in milk, stirring well with a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until edges are golden and center springs back when gently touched (you can also use the good old skewer test for doneness).