- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: about 5
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups ugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan with flour and shortening (I used nonstick cooking spray).
- Beat sugar, butter or margarine, lemon extract and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly; beat on high speed for 5 minutes; scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt; beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition; fold in lemon peel and poppy seeds; pour into pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack; cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
NotesA recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake that comes from 'Betty Crocker's Big Red Cookbook'.
To make a regular pound cake, omit the poppy seeds and lemon peel; replace the lemon extract with either vanilla or almond.
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More