- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: about 5
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups ugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan with flour and shortening (I used nonstick cooking spray).
- Beat sugar, butter or margarine, lemon extract and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly; beat on high speed for 5 minutes; scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt; beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition; fold in lemon peel and poppy seeds; pour into pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack; cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
NotesA recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake that comes from 'Betty Crocker's Big Red Cookbook'.
To make a regular pound cake, omit the poppy seeds and lemon peel; replace the lemon extract with either vanilla or almond.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Delightful DessertsSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More