- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 4 Lemons
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 500ml Double Cream
- First, take a peeler and peel the lemons. Keep the peel, you will need if for the garnish later (you can skip this if you do not want to make the garnish).
- Take 2 pans. In one add the sugar and the juice of all of the lemons and in the other add the Cream.
- Put both pans on a gentle heat and bring to the boil, stirring often. As soon as the cream begins to boil take it off of the heat to avoid it splitting. When the sugar and lemon juice mixture begins to boil it will start to make a caramel. Boil it until it just starts to change colour, around a minute.
- Allow the caramel to cool slightly before whisking this mixture into the cream. Strain through a sieve and pour into serving glasses, bowls or ramekins and put in the fridge to set.
- For the garnish remove any of the white pith from the lemon skin (as the photo shows below) and thinly slice. Put in a pan with a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar caramelises. Do not stir this when it is on the heat as the sugar will crystallise. Pour into a container and leave to cool.
- When ready to serve put some of the candied peel on top of the posset and serve with Shortbread biscuits. If the peel has stuck to the container you can give it 10 seconds in the microwave to melt it a bit. Don't garnish them until you are ready to serve as the sugar in the peel will unset the posset.
NotesThis is a great dessert to do as it can be done well in advance so you can take some pressure off yourself if you are having people over to eat. This recipe is different to other Lemon Posset recipes as they usually mix the sugar with the cream. I mix the sugar with the lemon juice and make a lemon caramel, I find this gives a richer, smoother result. This recipe is really easy and so delicious you will wonder why you have never made it before.
AMFC Clamily Cook Book
The NourishFull Kitchen
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Italian Sausage and Mushroom Ravioli
Chicken Tacos with Green Chili Adobo
Fish Cakes (Thai) with Herd & Peanut SaladSee More