- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease pans. I make one regular sized and two mini loaves from this batter. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar. Mix in the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon and the vanilla extracts. Gently mix in flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes. Do not open oven door until after one hour. When cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan it is done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- I usually make a lemon icing for this out of confectioners sugar, margarine and lemon extract just for added sweetness.
NotesThis is the cake I make when I have left over buttermilk from my spice cake recipe. Found this on the internet as well, but I completely overflowed the oven the first time. So, I adjusted how many cakes this actually makes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More