- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 5 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon juiced, about 1/3 cup juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between each egg. Now add the lemon and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add this mixture, 1/3 cup at a time.
- Now you can follow a variation, if desired. Otherwise, pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking time, you will need to prepare the lemon syrup for drizzling over the top of the cake.
- In a large microwave proof bowl, combine the sugar and water. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. This will be very hot.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Then stir in the lemon juice. Test the cake for doneness with a wooden skewer inserted in the top. This should come out clean.
- Let rest 5 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack. Poke holes in the the top of the cake with the wooden skewer.
- Slowly drizzle the syrup over the top of the cake.
- Let cake rest additional 5 minutes in the pan. Now remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving dish.
- You can garnish with sugared fresh fruit or long pieces for lemon rind.
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More