- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 5 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon juiced, about 1/3 cup juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between each egg. Now add the lemon and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add this mixture, 1/3 cup at a time.
- Now you can follow a variation, if desired. Otherwise, pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking time, you will need to prepare the lemon syrup for drizzling over the top of the cake.
- In a large microwave proof bowl, combine the sugar and water. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. This will be very hot.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Then stir in the lemon juice. Test the cake for doneness with a wooden skewer inserted in the top. This should come out clean.
- Let rest 5 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack. Poke holes in the the top of the cake with the wooden skewer.
- Slowly drizzle the syrup over the top of the cake.
- Let cake rest additional 5 minutes in the pan. Now remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving dish.
- You can garnish with sugared fresh fruit or long pieces for lemon rind.
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More