- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c.granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1 1/2 c. strawberries, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin pans with paper liners or spray with non-stick baking spray.
- 2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cooled melted butter, mixing well. Set aside.
- 4. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- 5. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined and then fold in the chopped strawberries. Do not over mix this mixture or the muffins will be tough when baked.
- 6. Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
NotesThroughout the week, I dream about my weekend breakfast. Some weekends I want a savory egg-based dish and sometimes I'm after something sweeter. With spring in full swing, I was craving something slightly sweet, but with bright flavors. These muffins were exactly what I was after!