- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbs. butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting after baking
- In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together shortening and butter until creamy.
- Slowly add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy stopping to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in vanilla, lemon extract, zest and juice.
- Stir in flour mixture until a soft dough is formed.
- Place dough into a large sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and using wrap as a guide roll dough into a
- 1 1/2" diameter log.
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.(** or freeze)
- Pre heat oven to 350*F.
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Unwrap cookie dough and using a thin knife slice dough crosswise into 1/8" thick slices.
- Place dough approximately 1-2" apart on cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes or until dough is light golden around edges of cookie but still pale in the center.
- Remove sheet pans to a cooling rack and let cookies cool for about 2-3 minutes on sheet pan.
- Using a thin spatula remove cookies to cooling rack and completely cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
NotesThese cookies are very tasty! My friends love them
This dough tends to be very temperamental and I've found that if I freeze the dough it works better for slicing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Adventures in CookingSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More