- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbs. butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting after baking
- In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together shortening and butter until creamy.
- Slowly add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy stopping to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in vanilla, lemon extract, zest and juice.
- Stir in flour mixture until a soft dough is formed.
- Place dough into a large sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and using wrap as a guide roll dough into a
- 1 1/2" diameter log.
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.(** or freeze)
- Pre heat oven to 350*F.
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Unwrap cookie dough and using a thin knife slice dough crosswise into 1/8" thick slices.
- Place dough approximately 1-2" apart on cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes or until dough is light golden around edges of cookie but still pale in the center.
- Remove sheet pans to a cooling rack and let cookies cool for about 2-3 minutes on sheet pan.
- Using a thin spatula remove cookies to cooling rack and completely cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
NotesThese cookies are very tasty! My friends love them
This dough tends to be very temperamental and I've found that if I freeze the dough it works better for slicing.