- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 8 large cookies
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 TBS butter (room temp)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice (or kind in the little lemon squeeze bottle)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Cherry Lemon Buttercream
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBS water (maybe)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- *4 TBS Cherry Jam, jelly or preserve
- n a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and lemon zest until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla, mixing until blended.
- The batter may look slightly curdled, but don't worry about it. On low speed, add half of the flour mixture until incorporated. Mix in buttermilk and then add the rest of the flour mixture mixing until smooth again.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter onto a parchment lined baking sheets, making sure the cookies are about 3 inches apart from each other. They expand a good amount so you don't want them to run into each other- I went with 6 cookies on each sheet just to play it safe. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for about 10-12 minutes, or until the top feels firm and edges are just barely brown. Cool the cookies for a good 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Cream crisco, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Beat in powdered sugar. Mix in lemon juice- add water if consistency is too thick still. If making the Cherry-Lemon Buttercream, mix in cherry jam.
- To fill the cookies, turn half upside down. Use a spatula or butter knife to spread each cookie with filling. Place the other cookie bottom side down onto the filling (the filling should be touching the bottoms of both cookies, so the rounded tops are visible).
NotesAlmost all my baked goods are shared with good friends and family. This recipe just happens to be one I sent away to my little brother and one of my good friends for their birthdays. My brother doesn't like chocolate and my friend requested something with Lemon and Cherry- voila! I only make the best for those I love :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More